Saturday, March 27, 2010

Ahmad Jamal - Jamal Plays Jamal (1974)

I really like this album. It's piano-driven jazz, but not without its share of bass and drum bits too. And strings! Very nice strings here and there. It's far from being considered a jazz classic or anything like that, although Jamal is well know enough, I just like it. I listened to this album on repeat while reading Ryu Murakami's book Almost Transparent Blue. Doing that created some strong attachment to this album for me, so that's probably why it's here. You might recognize part of the second song," Pastures" from somewhere. It looped for a pretty hook on "Feelin' It" off Unreasonable Doubt. Anyway, enjoy, this is good stuff, especially if you're looking to relax.

-Released on 20th Century
-1974
-US
-
1. Eclipse
2. Pastures
3. Dialogue
4. Spanish Interlude
5. Death & Resurrection
6. Swahililand

Jamal Plays Jamal at 320kbps

5 comments:

M. Sportsman said...

"Swahililand" also provided the memorable loop used on De La Soul's "Stakes is High." Thanks for the post.

I. said...

You're welcome, and thanks. Good to know a little more.

Dimitris said...

Oh, damn, of course this is an awesome album. I'm looking forward to buying it on vinyl. My favourite song off the record is ''Pastures''. ''Eclipse'' rules as well. Oh and ''Swahililand''...oh...and...maybe the entire album :D

Unknown said...

Listening to this album right now for the first time. Magical music.

Unknown said...

I remember when Ahmad Jamal turned my reality upside down. I stayed up all night listening to this, The Awakening, and of course the famous Perishing recordings.